Saturday, December 22, 2007

Learning To Adjust

Of all of us on this trip – “The Well” has the most touring experience. He told me, “In most cases, it starts out good, then it goes downhill, but it comes up at the end.” He was referring to the accommodations that you are provided when touring in foreign countries. He was certainly correct.

In Udine – pronounced UUH-din-nay – we had to adjust to rooms with very interesting smells and construction taking place on the roof – and we were on the top floor. In Cerro Veronese, we had to adjust to rooms that were colder than the snow-capped mountain the hotel stood on. But by the time we returned to the rooms after the show, the steam radiators had heated them. However, I guess the heat brought out the bugs because we found some crawling on our pillows – well not me personally. I was too tired to notice anything.

As a singer, I have had to learn to adjust my style and approach so that I can last for the entire tour. When I get on stage, I tend to completely spend myself vocally. But I cannot do that for these concerts; especially since the temperature of the rooms we sing in is totally unpredictable. I’ve had to adjust my clothing as well to accommodate the fact that I will be sweating a little on stage but there won’t be a warm bathroom in which to change clothes after the show at the venue. So, I have to wear undergarments that will absorb the perspiration and keep me warm, even after the show.

We noticed that in Reggio Calabria and in Potenza, the audience requested that we sing “Oh Happy Day.” We hadn’t learned it so we couldn’t do it. But we learned it in the van on the way to Udine and did it at that show. We’ve also had to pick up “Down By The River Side.” These are songs that Italians love to hear – and actually expect to hear at Gospel concerts. And you should see how they get into it when we close the concert with those two songs.

After the concert in Potenza, a gentleman came up to me who spoke just a little English. He said, “When I came to concert, I felt ‘ehh.’ Now, I feel much better. Thank you.” Of all the compliments we have received, that one blesses me most. It underlines the power of this gift of music that God has given us. It also reveals the universality of music ministry. Even when people can’t understand what you are saying, they can feel the message – and when God anoints it, they will encounter God in the message.

Many Christians in America tend to compartmentalize our experiences with God. We can be so over-churched that the moments when we encounter the supernatural don’t have a lasting effect. We leave those moments in its particular place in time. I think that is a problem. We talked about it as a group. We decided not to leave the Potenza experience in Potenza – but to carry it with us. And that’s what we have been doing.

The Udine concert was wonderful. Again, we experienced God. Likewise, the Cerro Veronese concert was fantastic. God’s presence was clear at that theatre. It was a night of major adjustments for me because my voice was a bit weak. I felt my body fighting off a virus and it took a toll on my voice. So, “The Well” took my lead part in “The First Noel” – and he KILLED it!! I think I’m going to let him keep it for the rest of the tour. I also dropped the key of “Fight For Me” by a whole step – right on stage. It is such a blessing to be working with professional singers who can handle a key change right on stage with only a 30 second notice. I don’t normally do that kind of thing but sometimes it’s necessary. By the time we got to the end of the concert, my voice was strong and clear again.

We are in the airport now headed over to Sardinia. We sing at a church there tonight. I’ll let you know how it goes. Keep praying for us. It’s very intense riding with “Mad Max” driving us through these mountains. The Italians are used to this… We’re from Virginia, Southeastern Virginia at that. Fast driving around curves on mountains frightens us. So, please keep praying for our safety… and our courage.

Oh yeah… one other great thing to report. Although we are less than halfway through with our concerts, we have sold two-thirds of the CDs that we brought. At this rate, we won’t have any CDs for the last few shows. God is blessing!!

If I don’t post to my blogs on a given day, it’s only because we are at a hotel that doesn’t have internet access – which has been the case with the last two hotels. Thank God for the airport.

No comments: